INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Saturday, March 7, 2015

LIttle Lace Box February 2015

Little Lace Box is a newer subscription box for women. It's curated for women by three sisters and isn't really described as a "lifestyle" box, but curates their boxes around particular themes. I've seen amazing reviews of previous boxes and was dying to get my hands on one. They like to promote and showcase small artisans, rather than big brands, and I like that. The January box was sold out before I even heard of it. And, so they don't dilute their quality, they offer a limited number of new subscriptions each month. They have monthly subscriptions  for $39.99 (which you can put on hold) or an annual subscription (which is discounted) and paid at once. They keep a certain number of each available and if the monthly's are sold out for the month and they don't sell the number they had set aside for annuals, then they open them at the last minute for monthly's. The January theme was so popular, that the waitlist never opened. When they opened February for new subscriptions, they blew up the website. I purchased an annual subscription for $383.90 ($31.99/box). Shipping is between the 20th-23rd each month and they bill monthly's just before shipping. 

The theme for February was "The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me." It's a reference to the "Rainbow Connection" and brought back childhood memories. I could hardly wait. I think February lasted a lot longer because I wanted m box. February turned out to be a bit rough all around. A dock strike, terrible weather, etc. Anyway, shipping was a few days late, but the sisters did let us know and I appreciated the communication. 

Remember I said February was a rough month? Well, not for me, but for the sisters. They wrote that this wasn't the box they originally envisioned, and I could tell they weren't as excited about it as they had planned. I'll give you my overall feel until after we open the box. But, I think the popularity was overwhelming and with dock strikes and weather making it tough to get product out, it was also tough for artisans to put together the products. They worked with what they had. With that being said, they aren't opening new subscriptions for March so that they, and the artisans they chose, can catch their breathe. I have to respect the honesty. 

Here's the list of the items included. I admit it, I got a bit confused at first. There are two items listed that have "OR" in tiny print. So ... I thought I was missing two items, but couldn't figure out how that was possible because the box was pretty packed. My mistake ... too fast glancing over everything. If you love items in the box, you can actually purchase them on the website. 

First I opened the Original Goat Milk Hot Fudge by Beekman 1802: Fun ... a group of sisters found a product made by a group of brothers. I've read great reviewes and I've hears that some people got orange and some people got original. I got original. I'm sure it's fantastic, but as a Vegan, goat milk is not on my list of things to try. My friend who is the recipient of most of my subscription box hand-offs will likely love this. Retail $12.99
Next I opened The Beekman 1802 Iridescent Shimmer Bling Bath: Same brothers as the fudge. Made with goat milk and sea salts for softening, it also apparently contains microscopic minerals to make you glowy and shimmery. But, no goat milk for me, so gifting it goes. Retail $18.99 (The alternative for this item was Tub Truffles by CeeCee&Bee, Retail $18.99. I might have used them since they aren't goat milk based, but I heard they couldn't be used in jetted tubs, so maybe not.)
Next up, was Pink Arrow Stationary by P.Press Papers: I'm trying to be better about writing notes and this is a nice reminder. These are very sweet cards that will be perfect for quick notes. It's a great valentine's theme and would have been great earlier in the month. But, I'll use these and enjoy them. Retail $12.99
And then Stud Earrings by Whitley Designs: OK, I heard some people got heart studs and other people got these cute hoops. Some people got gold and I received silver. I wold have been happy with either. I like the dainty silver hoops. Small enough that the could be worn in place of studs (except in my uniform). They are a bit tricky to put on, but I like them. Retail $54.99 (The alternative was Kitsch Dream Bracelet, Retail $31.99 for people who don't want to receive earrings. I don't remember specifying when I signed up, but that's OK ...  I like my earrings.)
One final item was listed as a bonus. Hula Bliss Goat Milk Lotion by Dancin' Goat Skin Care: I heard from a friend that this was amazing, and it also has coconut milk which I love in moisturizer. But, again ... goat milk = gift. Retail $4.50

So ... my opinion ... meh ... this wasn't a home run for me. If it weren't for so much goat milk product, I might have really loved it. I didn't really feel the theme, because I don't think goats was what they had in mind with rainbows. But, I also understand and respect the challenges this month and I know they were a bit disappointed also. Since the past few months were amazing, and they are not opening new subscriptions for March, I suspect that March is going to make up for it and be absolutely incredible. Overall, for the $31.99 (annual subscription rate) the value was $104.46. I suppose you can't really complain about the value. Even giving away 3 of 5 items, the value was still there.
 Little Lace Box also has a "points" system. You get points for opening an account, for subscribing, for reviewing, and for purchasing. Points eventually transfer to $$ that can be used for purchasing on their site. That's an added bonus. I haven't received an email asking me to review products, but I heard that's supposed to happen too.
March theme is "Here Comes the Sun" and we sure can use it. It's been a long winter.

(This is my personal review and unsolicited. I get nothing in return for writing about it.)








No comments:

Post a Comment