INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Stonewalls' Vegan Jerquee

I like Jerky. I like it for hikes. So, since choosing a plant-based lifestyle I haven't had much in the way of jerky options. I've been on a hunt for good jerky for carrying with me for hikes or road trips. I have found some good ones. And, I have found some I didn't really care for. This is one of them. I don't like to be negative, so I'll be brief. I ordered Stonewall's Vegan Jerkquee sampler packet of 9 flavors. Each packet was 1.5 ounces, single serving. The base of all the Jerquee is defatted soy flour. I admit, it doesn't sound yummy, but what the heck. Packets ranged from 150-165 calories and 12-14 grams of protein. Not too shabby.  
 When I opened the packages, the Jerquee looked like this. The first thought that comes to my mind was dog treats. Depending on the flavor, the color was darker or lighter. "Beefy" flavors were dark brown and "chicken" flavors were beige. The problem when I took a bite, is that the texture and the flavor also reminded me of dog treats. The flavors were minimally different among the ones I tried ... a little spicier, a little tangier, a little saltier ... but mostly the same.
And, then the texture. Just felt like a dried kitchen sponge to me. Chewy, spongey. I am not a foodie. I do not have a sophisticated palate. I just know what I like and what I don't like. Texture is a rare thing for me to have issue with, so it's hard for me to describe. But, if dog treat isn't what comes to mind, sort of sour kitchen sponge would be my next descriptor. 
I honestly tried to give each flavor a shot, but eventually, I just found myself throwing away several packages. I just couldn't do it. I won't buy these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment