INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Louisville Vegan Jerky

When people hear that I eat a vegan diet, they automatically think that means "healthy." And I really do try, but don't get me wrong ... I like snacks ... A LOT!!! Some snacks that are vegan aren't healthy and are full of sugar. And I remember the days I loved a good salty snack like Jerky. Jerky was a staple easy savory snack that makes me think of long road trips. You can always find jerky at a roadside convenience store.
When I heard about vegan jerky options, I knew I had to try. I admit, I was a bit skeptical. Because, really jerky is really dead animal flesh that has been dried and cured until it is super chewy, right? How could a vegan option really replicate that savory, chewy sensation? 

Stanley Chase, the owner of Louisville Vegan Jerky, offered me the opportunity to sample vegan jerky. Sure, I'll give it a shot. Louisville Vegan Jerky started making jerky in 2012. I kind of like the story, and the personal feel of the company. I'm away from home for a bit and I will freely admit, I was pretty excited to find this box in my APO box.

Some interesting pieces of information about the flavors in general

  1. The Jerky base is textured soy protein. I a not all wiggety about soy and we could go on and on debating the benefits and the purported risks of soy. Louisville Vegan uses an organically grown, non-GMO soy product. 
  2. Louisville Vegan uses products that do not contain gluten. Getting a gluten-free certification is lengthy and expensive. Many soy sauces contain gluten, so Louisville Vegan uses the similar tasting (and gluten-free) tamari instead 
  3. The flavor ingredients used are sourced from small local farms within 50 miles from Louisville Vegan's kitchen. I like that ... not imported from overseas (especially the Asian country that is practicing Sun Tzu Art of War on us, and winning ...that's another rant for another day). Not harvested and transported across miles and miles. Not filled with artificial preservatives. I really like supporting community and family businesses and Louisville Vegan is this and does this. 
  4. The packages come in  2.5 ounce bags for 2.5 servings per bag. Calorie ranges from 70-90 calories per serving (Maple Bacon has highest calorie count at 90, Sriracha Maple comes in at 80). Fat calories are 30-35 grams per sserving (Maple Bacon is again the leader). There is 6-7 grams of protein per serving. Sooooo .... if like me, you find yourself unable to stop at a single serving and you eat the entire bag at one sitting, worst case scenario is 225 calories, 87 calories from fat (none of it is the bad trans fats). And you will get about about 15 grams of protein. 
So, let's talk about what you really want to know ... how is it? Because, really, jerky that isn't dead animal? 

I was flabbergasted that I was sent the 4 main flavors to sample. Not just one flavor. And full size bags, not little samples. I opened all of them and sat down with a glass of wine. I figured I needed to taste all the flavors to give a good review. 

First, all the things that the flavors have in common. 
1. When opening the bags, they all contain a little stay fresh, do not eat packet. This is to keep the jerky fresh and from getting all stuck together. The bags are resealable. 
2. All the jerky strips look the same. Irregular shaped strips of chewy jerky goodness. Kind of reminds me of meat jerky and how the strips are irregular shaped and different sizes and shapes. And for you meat-eaters out there, don't tell me this looks "gross." Because if it does, then I dare you to look at your fried strips of pig meat and fat. Or your dead animal jerky and you will have to admit, it looks pretty similar. 
3. Texture ... it is substantial and pleasant. It is chewy, but not spongey chewy. It takes a little work with the molars, but it does separate in your teeth easily. If you are looking for a hard, super chewy jerky that you have to work on for awhile, and tear apart with your teeth, then this is not it. 

Next, on to the flavors:

I found the mildest of the flavors to be the two Bourbon flavors. I am not a foodie, so I can't tell you any fine nuances and subtleties.  Pete's Bourbon Smoked Black Pepper I found to be the mildest flavor. Kind of smooth almost. It was saltier than Todd's Bourbon Smoked Chipotle, which had a tiny bit of spiciness that I noticed at end of the piece I tasted. So, I ate another and the spiciness level got a little stronger. The Bourbon Smoked Black Pepper has the mildest rating and the Bourbon Smoked Chipotle had a rating mid-way between mild and moderate. Both are sweetened with Sorghum from a Kentucky farm 50 miles away from kitchen. 

If you want a little more spice, then go for Enid's Sriracha Maple. The maple syrup is sourced from a maple farm 50 miles from the kitchen and the sriracha is organic. This is rated as moderate spicy. My unsophisticated palate would describe it as salty with a hint of sweetness that finishes kind of spicy. The spicy factor does add up when you keep eating. 

Of the four flavors, my favorite was Carrie's Sesame Teriyaki. Maybe because I like Asian flavors. I thought the flavor of the Sesame Teriyaki was the boldest of the flavors. It was salty and had great flavor of sesame and soy sauce. UMMMM ... I think I ate the whole bag at once. 

So, my verdict so far...I REALLY REALLY REALLY like it. I'm always looking for good and flavorful snacks. When I hike or do my version of "running", I like to have real food with me. This will be perfect for hiking. It has great flavor, great texture, salt, sometimes sweet. Easy to chew. Toss it in a ziplock baggie and I'm ready to go. 

I liked it so much that I ordered more including a 5-pack from Amazon that contained Paulette's Maple Bacon. I am guessing this is one of their monthly flavors as it isn't listed as one of their primary flavors on the website. This was mild with no heat and had a sweet and smokey flavor. Also pretty darn scrumptious. 

So ... details. Where can you find this amazing goodness? Well, I ordered from Amazon. The website has a listing of specialty storefronts and other on-line retailers. You can also join the Jerky of the Month Club. For $14.99 per month (less if you do a 3-or 6-month subscription), you can get bags of the regular flavors, plus a bag of their test flavor each month. Only members get the exclusive test flavor. February was Thai Peanut. Yeah, I think I'll be joining. Maybe you should, too. 

Just so you know, I didn't get paid to say any of this. The opinions are mine alone and freely shared. Feel free to follow them on Instagram @louveganjerky and Facebook 


2 comments: