INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Star Wars 10K 2016 ... and warehouse visit to INKnBURN

My first Disney Race!!!  So, you may have figured out, INKnBURN-ers are a little obsessive. And, they obsess about lots of cool things. Disney races and Star Wars are among the obsessions. So a combination ... yeah. I like Star Wars and I wondered what the hooplah about Disney races was all about. So, when my friends started asking if I was going to do Star Wars, I was like "sure, why not." And, I signed up ... way in advance and for a lot of coins. My friend Tigger is a planner. Thank goodness. She booked her hotel with her dad months in advance. I booked at the same place. Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn is not on Disney property, but it may as well be. It's only a block to the entrance and a fraction of Disney-proper hotel costs. She got military passes for the weekend. So, she ordered mine also. Easy peasy. She booked meals at Disneyland. Who knew you had to reserve months in advance? So, I glommed on.

Yes, I met Tigger on-line as a fellow INKnBURNer. We are similar sizes, so we had competed to purchase some similar items. We struck up conversations. I've been lucky enough to meet her in person before, so I feel she is more than an on-line friend, but a real life true friend. Even though most of our interactions are on-line, I feel like I can trust her and I feel like we are real friends.

Thursday, the Musician and I boarded our flight. Direct to LAX.
Picked up rental car and drove to the hotel. On the drive, we actually saw the fireworks from Disneyland. Unfortunately, I had no luck at pictures of the amazing display.

OK ... I started to get really really excited. We settled in and checked out Happy Cow for nearby dining vegan options. And we found it. Vegan Pizza ... yes, that's the name of the restaurant and the food we ate. It was spectacular.


We struck up a conversation with a fun young couple who gave us other vegan dining options for the weekend. We also took home dessert. Vegan cheesecake. I was in Heaven. Cheesecake is one of the few things I've actually missed since going plant-based. After dinner, we headed to Will Rogers Airport and picked up Tigger and her dad. So, something weird. Tigger is my friend. So, I usually call my friend's parent's "Mr. or Mrs." Such a weird thing that Mr. Tigger-Dad is only 3 years older than I am. I can be her mother. Yikes. I don't feel old enough to be a parent to Tigger. Especially since she is so wise for her years and I learn wisdom and grace from her. She is an amazing example.

Friday morning was a big morning. We had breakfast at the hotel. Sorority Girl had come out for the week with her family. Husband was working. Child had some good Disneyland time. She was gonna race. But, guess what is close?!?!?! INKnBURN warehouse. So, yep, we planned a field trip.
We stopped for flowers and fruit bouquet for our favorite customer service people, designers, artists, and seamstresses. And, we packed tight in the car. We were fortunate enough to meet Tani and Natalie who treated us like we are long lost friends. They are always so responsive when I email and they really make me feel like family.  Apparently a bad bug has been going around and some folks were out. Also, they were hard at work in the back room producing surprise items for the INKnBURN club box, so no tour of the process. But, we tried on existing stock to really confirm our sizes. We chatted. We met Tiny, one of the artists, and picked his brain. How does he come up with the designs? Much of the hand-drawn art is his. It's amazing, he is really allowed to create. He does use ideas from fans and toys with them to see if they work. But, also just doodles ideas of his own.  They test them out. If they work, fantastic. If not, well, onto the next one. It's reasons like this that I adore the company. They are people, real people. And, artists are allowed to create. After spending way too much of their time, it was time for lunch. We had been trying to meet up with a few other INKnBURNers, but timing just didn't work.
Then it was off to lunch. Used our first day of Disney passes and went to lunch at Blue Bayou. So, this is the reason for reservations. Walking through the doors was like a complete translocation. We were on the Bayou in Louisiana. There was a water ride that drifted through the area on boats. There were "lightning bugs" in the trees. Real trees indoors. The ceiling was like a night sky. I really felt like we were outside, eating dinner in a swamp at night. It was even slightly humid. We had an awesome alcoholic lemonade with light up balls in them and an amazing vegan portabello dish that was absolutely divine. Yes, Disney has pretty decent vegan options scattered throughout the park.

After amazing lunch and full bellies, it was time for the expo. We met up with Sorority Girl again and picked up packets. It was easy and smooth. We had to do pics for ID validation for the Challenge. We did our requisite shopping. There are so many companies that do specific things just for Disney races. I had no idea. Special edition shoes, headbands, etc. And, of course, Disney does their own thing. I hate lines. Hate them. So, I didn't stand in line for the RunDisney shop and Tigger assured me I didn't miss anything that I would have wanted. The Musician and I had a cheap drink instead. She also had pre-ordered a few things, so she picked those up as well. It was quick. And, of course, wearing our INKnBURN, fellow INKnBURNers spotted us and we realized we know each other on-line. Sort of fun, how INKnBURN brings people together.


 

 Heading back to hotel for the evening, we stopped for drinks at Cathay. Tigger was carded. None of the rest of us were. I joked with the server about my ID. He still didn't ask for it. Sad face. Really? I guess it's time to admit, I don't look like I'm under 30 anymore. Really sad face. But, I admit, the pear martini was among the best I have ever had.

At this point, we had separate plans for the evening. We heard that Elton John was planning an impromptu set in Disneyland, but remember, I hate lines and crowds make me jittery. We wanted more flexibility and not to feel rushed. So, we headed off property to the CAMP to find Native Foods. OMIGOSH!!!! "Chicken bacon" club and the "burger" were to die for.
We did make it back in time to see a few fireworks and lay out some clothes for tomorrow.

Then, the morning came ... too early. Had some banana and bagel and peanut butter from the breakfast bar the day before and headed out groggily. Tigger and her dad and I headed onto property and met up with Sorority Girl. We did the porta-pottie thing and the picture thing.
Sorority Girl and I were in the later corrals and said our good-byes and good-lucks to Tigger. Then we waited. There is a little bit of a party atmosphere and it's jittery.
We were going to try 1-minute run/1-minute walk, but it was impossible. Too many people. Narrow streets. I got grumpy dodging in and out of people. But, there were amazing costumes. My favorite had to be pregnant slave-girl Leia.

There were also characters for photos, but those of us in back had long lines to face ... so we did ours from a distance. I was thinking I didn't want to do another Disney race because of the crowds, and then ... we entered Downtown Disney. The lights. The happy music. My mood improved.







But, I had also heard about the "balloon ladies" and the time limits and I was stressed. At one point, we were told we were 3 minutes ahead of pace. 3 minutes? Wow!!! Later, I realized that was not 3 minutes in front of sweepers, but 3 minutes ahead of the expected pace of the sweepers. We were about 3 miles in, so I think that meant we had a lot more time, but I stressed anyway.


We finally made it. Funneled through the finish. Picked up our food box. Took our own pictures. And, then headed back to the hotels for showers. 10K done.




No comments:

Post a Comment