INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Primal Strips Vegan Jerky

I had not started a quest looking for vegan jerky options until I discovered Primal Strips at a restaurant. I remember liking the chewy texture and the flavors. Individually wrapped, they are actually rather (can I say it?) ... moist. So, on my search for jerky, I discovered they have 6 flavors and I tried a sample pack. These pack pretty small and conveniently into a day pack or handbag. But, once opened, you have to eat the entire package. No slow graze snacking. 
 There are 6 flavor varieties of 3 types of protein. The calorie content ranges from about 60 to about 100 and the protein content ranges form 6 to 11. The higher calorie and lower protein varieties are made of Shitake mushrooms.

Flavors include:

Shitake Mushroom Hot & Spicy, which has the most uniform appearance. The texture is most "meaty" in my opinion and the flavor and texture remind me of a Slim Jim

Seitan Teriyaki, Thai  Peanut, and Mesquite Lime.  All of these are good. The Teriyaki is probably the sweetest. The others are also flavorful. I don't notice a lot of peanut flavor in the Thai Peanut and not a lot of smokey flavor that I would expect in Mesquite Lime.

Soy Texas Barbecue and Hickory Smoked. The Texas Barbecue is probably the sweetest flavor of all of the strips. I don't really notice a smokey flavor in Hickory Smoked either. But, I don't have the most sensitive palate.
The textures of the Seitan and the Soy seems very similar to me. It's chewy, tough, stringy. I don't mind tough and chewy, because that's what I like about jerky. The moistness of the strips makes them seem less "jerky-like" to me.

Honestly, when grabbing one for a pack, I'm not picky ... I just reach blindly because I know I will be satisfied with any of them. They are a bit simpler to think about putting in a pack than my favorite vegan jerky because they are small and compact. But, I can't nibble a little here and there to have tiny bites throughout the day because the packaging is such that open is open. My overall take, these are convenient and handy to have around. I don't have any real negatives and I will buy again, but they wouldn't necessarily be my first choice of vegan jerky.

No comments:

Post a Comment