INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Dark and Twisty ... Running in Costume

I was always the pudgy one, the slow one, the uncoordinated one. The one who really didn't want to be noticed. The one who wasn't noticed, until the last pick. I am the geek, the nerd, the freak. Whatever. I exercised my brain and figured one day I would exercise my body. But my body isn't meant for exercise, right? Twelve years ago, living in Northern California, I decided I needed to start somewhere. Fifty pounds heavier than today, I decided ... while in Rome ... I signed up for a marathon and trained with Team In Training. I was slow. It hurt. The Musician called me "stampy" because I plodded. He played my (still) theme song ... Fat Bottomed Girls, by Queen, when I came by the rest stops. It's OK ... it made me laugh and it was true. My fat bottom jiggled. And I hid. I didn't want to be noticed. I dressed in dark drab solid colors. Race day, I wore the purple singlet. Please don't notice me. Please.
It was supposed to be a one and done, but my body hurt and felt good all at once. A year later, I learned why my feet still hurt. Microtears in the bilateral posterior tibial tendons. But, I decided slow and short and eventually I got better. I did a few other marathons ... on whims, and joked about how the majority of my training was on race days. Not fast, but at least I was moving. But, I saw race pictures and always wondered who the miserable girl hiding in my bib was. The forced smile.  The pained expression. The solid, unmemorable, clothes. Please don't notice me, Mr. Cameraman. 

I've always had a dark side and have been wearing skeletons and skulls since 8th grade (before it was cool ... ask my friends). My closet was black and shades of black. In 2013, I signed up for another marathon (by accident, long story) and decided it was time to train again. And I got better (long story, but injured my hip during the race and have not quite been the same. Curse genetics). I changed my diet and my attitude and had lost those pesky 70 pounds (yes, I gained another 20 before I lost them). This time I felt great and didn't mind being seen. The musician found a cool skeleton running kit on-line. I bought it ... and the addiction to INKnBURN began. I wore this kit ... A LOT!!!! I still wear it because it still looks good as new. 
I even wore it to a concert last week. Rock on!!! And yes, I look like I'm crazy.


For the first time ever, I didn't mind being noticed. "Nice bones." "Nice outfit." "Wow, that's a cool kit." This is were it started, running in kits, running in costumes. But, I'm not creative. I'm very analytical ... right-brained. I need help. Desperately. Voila--I have an entire team of artists to help me. I exercise (and live) in matching kits and costumes all the time now. INKnBURN is a small, family-run business in California who designs and hand-prints and hand-sews art on fitness wear. They test and try tons of ideas before release ideas that then then they hand-pack and ship to their loyal fan base. New customers become repeat customers. They create designs and print them once ... that's it. No more. Every year, something different. I thought I would give you an example. These are the ones I have, there are more, I just don't have ALL of them. Not all the costumish kits come out at Halloween, but I thought this was a good time to show them off.

CLASSICS (pre-2014)
Not a full costume kit, but one of my favorites. And included in my first purchase from INKnBURN
The Capris are newer, but Amigo is perfect for all of the Alamo themed races in San Antonio. Yes, I prefer to be on the side of the "bad guys."
2014

2015
These tights were meant to go with the Nerd top, but they just rock in general. And seriously, I think the Nerd kit was designed for me. 
The black and white Pirate capris are classic, but the red and black lace are 2015 and pretty awesome.
They make shirts and kits for men too.

2016
This year, they sold costumes as pre-orders. There are a few items left, so rush off to order if you want them. Otherwise, stalk (I mean watch) the site for new releases. Sign up for the newsletter. Or follow INKnBURN on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and Polyvore and Pinterest. And no, I don't get paid to advertise. I just really like the people and the company and what they stand for. And, honestly, I love the art.
Seriously, this transplanted Texan could go two-steppin' in this. Also great for those Alamo themed races. I could be on the "good" side this year. 


And as you may have noticed, I don't hide from the camera anymore. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment