INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

GoldenTote February 2015

I am not good at shopping. I get overwhelmed. Too much to stimulation. Too many choices. I also have no fashion sense, so my closet is full of the same things. I have been using another clothing subscription service and liked it, but it has the potential to be pricey. 

I heard about GoldenTote and thought I would give it a try. December was a home run. In January, I tried their mystery tote and it was a bust. But, there were a few things I wanted to try from the February selection. There are two options $49 for 1 chosen item and 2-3 surprises, or $149 for 2 chosen items and 4-5 surprises. The selection is better for the $149 and I saw a few things I liked. 

This is from their site: Golden Tote is the ultimate 'Surprise Grab Bag' filled with clothing and accessories for women. Working with carefully selected fashion brands and designing our own fashion favorites, we curate an eclectic assortment of treasures and package them all up in a custom tote bag for one amazing price. Think of us as your personal shoppers, stylists, and designers that are scoring you some major fashion finds for an incredible price.

The varsity sweater looked really cute in the picture. It was one of my "chosen" items. I thought the material would be thin, but that's OK ... winter in Texas. It would be good for layering if I went to a colder climate. It looked somewhat fitted on the model. It was not. This was a size small, but fit like a large. Gaping arms and very boxy and wide. The Musician said it looked "frumpy." I couldn't convince myself I liked it on. 
My second chosen item was the quilted vest. It actually is pretty cute and fits well, but I couldn't get past the rose gold zipper. I thought it would tarnish and look cheap pretty quickly. In fact, I think the rose gold already looks cheap. It was OK, but I'm not in love with it.
I have seen a mix of surprise items to include lounge-wear and accessories. I'm not complaining to receive regular clothes. I actually really liked this top. It was cute and fit well. Would be great for casual days. I am discovering a GoldenTote theme; however. Everything seems loose and flowy. This was no exception. This went in the "win" column. 
The next surprise item actually looks better on than it does on the hanger. Could be dressed up or down. Comfortable. Again, really flowy, but fit well. Another "win." 

When I first saw this top, I was pretty iffy. It's different, but I actually really liked it on. I like the pop of red vertical stripe in the middle and wider stripe in the back. Could be dressed up or down and layered. Another item for the "win" column.



The final item in the box was the blue dress. I received one of these in my January mystery box in pink and hated it then and I still hate it in blue. The shape is boxy and it's just weird. I think it's too short to be a dress and it has a scalloped hemline so it looks like a pool cover-up. But, it is layered, so I think it is supposed to be a dress. The waist tie just makes it boxy looking. This was NOT a win.

Sooo ... all told, I had 3 items I really liked, 1 that was just OK, and 2 that I hated. I couldn't justify the $149 price-tag if I was going to send 2 or 3 items to charity pile without ever wearing them. Swapping is really so much of a hassle for me. So, I ate the $7.95 shipping cost, and the $12.95 flatr-ate shipping to return the box. It's all or none. Can't keep just a few items. I really am not sure if/when I will order again. I think if I LOVE items that I can choose, then sure, maybe. I am not into the flowy, belted-dress and that seems to be common. I am sad because I was blown away by my December Tote. Nice thing is that you don't have to cancel, you only purchase months you want.



No comments:

Post a Comment