INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Stitchfix January 2015

This is my first review of StitchFix. I've been receiving fixes for a few years now, but I don't get them every month. And, I've been a little lazy about posting reviews. And, when I was behind, I figured there wasn't an easy way to catch up. In fact, StitchFix is probably the first "subscription" I found. A friend of mine posted her first fix on Facebook and I really wanted to give it a try. I was on a waiting list, but now I think there isn't a waitlist anymore. They carry sizes 0-14.

So ... what is StitchFix? It's a great service for people like me. I have no fashion sense. I wear a uniform to work, so I don't have to figure anything out. If I'm not in a uniform, I'm in scrubs. Comfort is important. I have lots and lots of jeans and t-shirts. Even then, I get lost trying to figure out  how to put things together. And, I get really confused in a store. With no fashion sense, I get really confused shopping. It's just overwhelming. How do I know if it looks good? There are so many colors and styles to choose from? If I have a hard time choosing I do one of two things. Buy everything and then have no idea what to do with it, or get frustrated and leave empty handed. Also, fortunately for me, they include a styling card to help with ideas on how to put together your items into outfits. I need that because I am usually jeans, top, shoes ... and that's it. Also, I get a note from my stylist telling me why she picked out these things for me. I like the personal touch.

StitchFix works with a handful of stylists who pick things for me. Once you sign up on-line, you fill out a style profile. It has lots of information including coloring and sizing, but also your personal style and preferences, and even what you consider a reasonable price to pay for certain types of clothing items. You pay a $20 styling fee and your stylist selects 5 items to send you. You pick your delivery date and voila ... you have a package delivered and you go shopping. After trying everything on, you select what you want to keep and send back the rest in a provided envelope. Shipping is free both ways. Then, go back on-line and check-out. I try to give feedback about what I liked, or didn't, about items in the fix and the way they fit. This information is used to further tweak your next fix. You can do a monthly auto-delivery, or just schedule when you want. If  you keep all 5 items, you get a 25% discount off the entire order. And, of course, the $20 fee is also applied to your order. 
So .... on to my most recent fix. I haven't fixed in a few months, so this was a winter fix for sure. 

First item was Mak B Cecily Crew Neck Sweater. It's a nice grey sweater with a textured cable knit pattern. It's a little thin, so in really cold climates, layering would be needed. The picture looks like it is pretty generously sized, it's not. I am a small and this was a small. But, I think it might be a wee bit on the small side. I wouldn't be able to layer anything under it without it getting too tight and the sleeves are a wee bit short. But, I don't have a lot of basic sweaters, and I was keeping everything else, so it made sense to keep this sweater, too. I have actually worn it a few times and it's pretty fitted, but not super tight. I have to be careful which jeans I wear because it doesn't go all the way down to my hips and hits between my waist and hips. 

Next was Market and Spruce Chaplin Lined Hooded Anorak Jacket. I will admit, I wasn't sure I would like it. It looks square and boxy, but it is NOT. It fits amazing and looks really great. It has curves. The hood zips off, but I will always wear it on because I love hoods. The fabric is a soft brushed feeling, almost suede-like. I adore the red trim that peeks out. And I'm glad to have some color. Some people might not think Navy blue is "color," but in my dark wardrobe navy is color. This will be worn often.

I asked for "cozy" in this fix and I got it with the Parkhurst Layton Faux Leather Trim Cardigan. It has a lot of volume for wrapping up in and it is very soft. I like the faux leather trim to add just a bit of interest. It was an interesting juxtaposition to the Cecily sweater which was a bit on the smallish size because this is a bit generously proportioned. It's really beautiful dark grey.

I have resisted skinny jeans for a long time and turned some away before. Not this time. I actually asked for some skinnies. I was clear that I didn't want blue denim ... I have about a dozen pairs of blue jeans, but I was OK with black or dark grey. I'm not daring enough for bright colors. The stylist listened. These Mavi Freida Regular Length Skinny Jeans are AMAZING. The black denim has the right amount of stretch so I don't feel like I'm squeezed in too tight. They are really comfortable and if I didn't have a fluffy tummy, they would be even better. But, jeans can only do so much. I can cover the muffin top ... and I do. Hence, the flowing sweaters I like so much.

Each fix usually comes with an accessory item. I don't always know how to wear jewelry, but I've gotten some great earrings and necklaces. I am a big fan of scarves. I LOVE this Octavia Alana Reversible Plaid & Houndstooth Infinity Scarf. It's a soft, lightweight, knit scarf. It goes amazing with the Anorak, but it's really cute with other jackets and coats I have also. It might be one of my favorite items in the fix this month, and that's saying a lot because I really liked everything.

So ... I haven't kept my receipt and kept everything. I can't tell you ... this time ... the price on every item and my total came to about $267. I would have to look at my credit card again to be certain. I really liked this fix. I can't say I was completely blown away, but I also have nothing to complain about and will wear everything. It was a very comfortable fix.

That is one thing I wish were different ... I would love it if my account page would show my past fixes with the items (at least the ones I kept) and their pricing. But, I suppose that's a pretty minor issue in my mind. If you want to try it out, please consider using my link. I'll probably get my next fix for my birthday ... who knows, maybe sooner.







1 comment: