INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Coconut 8K

How could I pass up a run in a grass skirt and coconut bra? I like the idea of fun races. This was the day after yesterday's grueler, so I wasn't sure How I would feel. Anyway, after finishing the grueler and eating food, we went to the swap meet to purchase an outfit and then to register for the race and pick up swag.
 The Musician wasn't super excited that we were getting up a second morning in a row at 5 AM. It is vacation afterall. But, it was another beautiful day on Oahu. Aren't they all? We got to Kaka'Ako State Park and I dressed up. I was happy to see that even some really really buff guys were able to chuckle about it and dressed up too.  
The 8K was 2 1/2 loops around the park and some of it was through grass. I just followed the crowd, but it was obvious as things spaced out during the second lap that we had short-cut some sections in the grass in the first lap. The cones were hard to spot and I acted like sheep and followed the leaders. It does make my pace look better on the official results page. The views were beautiful. 

I liked this bird with the funky hairsytle




During my second lap, I met a group of really nice women who seem to be as nutty as me. They had just arrived the day before on vacation and decided to sign up for a race. One of them was wearing a shirt from a race local to the San Antonio area. THEY ARE FROM SAN ANTONIO, TOO!!!!! They run with a different group, but I bet we can find a way to merge. AND, they are a military family. Small world, indeed.

My legs were shot from yesterday's race, so I didn't really feel great at any point during the run, but I finished and got my medal to prove it.

Just in case anyone was wondering, it's not easy to run in a grass skirt. It swishes and gets caught up a bit. And the coconut bra? Well, the strings to tie it on with do pull, and rub, and chafe the neck. I don't advise the outfit for a long run.








No comments:

Post a Comment