INKnBURN

INKnBURN

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Jingle Trails 5K



I'm pretty late getting around to writing this report, but  ... better late than never. Jingle Trails is a 5K trail run that was 4 days after I returned from Alaska. I still wasn't unpacked all the way. Sorority Girl was back on her feet after a stress fracture and this was her first event. Dr. Doyle from Hill Country Spine & Sport gave her the "all ok" and she was planning to walk the race. Sure, what the heck, I will too. Powerbroker signed up her son and decided to walk as a bandit. She knew that if she had a bib, she wouldn't be able to walk and chat with us. She's a little more driven than I am. So, I signed up at iRun on Friday night. Packet pick-up was Thursday ... oops.
Saturday morning, I made my cup of coffee and headed to Eisenhower park on Saturday morning. Met up with Sorority Girl and Power Broker. Said a chilly (but warmer than Alaska) "hello" to some other friends I haven't seen in awhile. Picked up my sweet swag ... and oh yeah, bib. Greetings to the Doyles. I swear, Wendy does the best sports massages and Dr. Doyle will fix your injuries quick. They were there for massages and body work post-run for folks who needed it. Then, off to Starbucks for more coffee.

Race start and the runners were off. We walkers in the back were chatting and walking leisurely with coffee cups in hand. Pretty glad we decided to take it easy and walk because I'm a klutz and the trail was truly a trail. Rocks and tree roots ... and more big rocks to climb over. If not for the walking, I might have snapped a bone. But, it was remarkably beautiful and the conversation was fantastic. 

We managed to finish our coffee before we crossed the finish line and found a handy garbage can to toss the cups in. I don't think we even tried to run the finish. Kind of nice excuse to enjoy a lovely day with lovely women. 
I had to rush off to meet another friend for brunch before he headed out of town for the holidays. I can honestly say that I think I set a PR for my slowest 5K ever. It was totally worth it.

I also forgot to start trusty Garmin, so the course really was a 5K, but trusty Garmin doesn't show the whole loop. Operator error.


And yeah, I ha my chance to wear (I mean show off) my holiday InkNBurn kit. I got to wear it again for a night 5K later the same day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment